You might not expect that many microwave popcorn brands, for example Orville Redenbacher’s, contain the destructive palm oil. Well they do. But don’t panic! There is an easy solution:
For one plain serving:
- In a small bowl, combine 1/2 cup popcorn kernels, a teaspoon or so of olive oil or melted butter & some salt. Mix.
- Pour mixture into a brown paper bag.
- Fold bag several times and tape closed.
- Microwave using “Popcorn” button. If you don’t have that button, try 1 or 2 minutes, but be ready to shut it off when the popping slows down!
THAT’S IT! Simple. And you can flavor it any way you want.
To add flavors:
- SPICY: add spices directly to bowl of oil/kernels/salt. Continue as you did with the plain.
- HERBS: add sprigs of fresh herbs to the bowl of oil/kernels/salt. Allow to infuse for 5 minutes. Make sure all the herbs are coated in oil so they don’t burn! Continue as you did with the plain.
- SWEET: add 1-2 tsp of maple syrup to the bowl of oil/kernel/salt. Continue as you did with the plain.
- CHEESY: add some grated parmesan cheese to the bowl of oil/kernel/salt. Continue as with the plain.
It’s healthier, cheaper, easy, delicious, and palm oil free! Give it a try!
Comment if you invent any other flavors!